Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why are scarecrows always BOYS?

I took my last fabric line from Benartex and made a girl scarecrow. I always love cats perched pon pumpkins and I made a hoochy pumpkin (so easy) and put a cat on top. Then I did a hoochy skirt and jacket for my girl and added stick legs and a head and hat. She needed a purse like we all do and it made sense to make a sunflower handbag. Love birds in my pieces and either cherries or apples (something RED) and added bluebirds. In the end I added a mouse to the cat for fun as I knew my Grandkids would love seeing this.
This little scarecrow looks darling on my wall. I will be bringing her to Madeline island to talk about hoochy piecing pumpkins and gourds and flowers for Autumn (or any) story quilt. October is the perfect time to do a story quilt because it is right in the time we think about the beauty around us and we are going into holiday time. So many good ideas to leave a memorable legacy quilt about someone or something we love!

Buttons for embellishment add to the whole fun and whimsy of the piece.

8 comments:

  1. She is gorgeous Mary Lou, but of course most of your ideas are so inspiring.

    I love how you mix the hoochy mama blocks with applique.

    I've got to get going again on my story quilt I started at your retreat in June. But alas I'm still making fish with gourds and pumpkins to follow quickly.

    Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is fun and different. I think we use boys, because they are scary, lol. And witches are woman, hmmm, we do tend to stereotype;) I always seem to slip a kitty into my pieces and of course all kitties have to have mice. I also notice I am doing more birds, love them all together. I think I like the idea of a girl scarecrow, she dress so much better too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so CUTE! I Love the birdies and cat & mouse! I think her purse is perfect! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question! I love the idea of thinking outside the box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! I love your hoochy woman scarecrow! If only we could make the 3D ones as cute as your quilted lady and her wonderful friends. This is a wonderful seasonal quilt! She made me smile the minute I opened your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable!!!! Check out mamacjt@blogspot.com. She does veru cute faces too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's so cute! I love her little face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love your work. She is so cute! Hard to call her a scare crow.

    ReplyDelete