Monday, June 2, 2014

I GET GOOD Mail and Blueberry Lemon Loaf Recipe from Wanda.....



Dear Mary Lou,

You're in my thoughts and prayers.  I'll get my and my mother's 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" squares off soon,  In the meantime, here is some good news to share.
This quilt also won 2nd in a viewer's choice award at a different show.  Pretty fun!


It wasn't a cow but my story quilt "Santa's Vacation Snapshots" won 1st prize for art quilts in our local Lakeview Quilt Show.  What an honor.  There are more that 200 members in the guild and that includes some major, major quilters.  I was blown away and thought it would bring a smile to your faces!

After all - I owe my love of story quilts to my friend and mentor, YOU!

I've also included a snap shot of my most recent  story quilt I made for a beach house challenge.  It isn't quilted yet but that will come! 

Happy Quilting!



Peggy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mary Lou,

I thought you might enjoy seeing this story quilt I made after reading your books, although reading is a mild term for what I did.  Your books are next to my bed and I have studied every quilt in them!  I am a total groupie of yours.  How do you like that?

I designed this quilt one night when I could not sleep.  I drew it up in an old notebook I keep with me and I made it just as I drew it in that first draft. It is called "Do Small Things With Great Love" though I keep calling it "Great Love" so that might be its real name.  The quote is attributed to Mother Theresa.  I looked just like the girl in the quilt when I was little (I am now 54) so even though I did not plan her to be me I think she is.  Just like this quilted me I am happiest in my garden.

The quilting was done by a friend, Martha Wilson.  Your books even gave me "permission" to pay someone else to do the quilting for me.  I can meander and make a half decent feather, but Martha rocks as a quilter.  I gave her the quilt and told her to have fun with it and do whatever she wanted to with her magical machine.  She did have fun and with her domestic machine I think she did do some magic!

I hope you like my quilt.  This was the most fun I've ever had making one and I don't think I can ever go back to making ordinary quilts again!

Thank you for your inspiration.  I can't wait to see what you have for me to enjoy in your next book!

Cyndi Zoller

------------------------------------------------------------
Lemon yogurt blueberry cake - (from Sweet Pea blog -sent from Wanda from Calgary for me to try) and it is amazing!








Lemon-Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
Adapted loosely fromIna Garten
1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (if you’re skipping the fruit, you can also skip the last tablespoon of flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
3 extra-large eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed (miniature wild blueberries are great for this, and pose the least risk of sinking)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 (+) minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping out onto a cooling rack. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in (a pastry brush works great for this, as does using a toothpick to make tiny holes that draw the syrup in better). Cool.


4 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful and it is wonderful that you inspire so many people to create story quilts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary Lou, like the person who wrote to you, I study your books with great care. Each time I go over them, I see something I didn't notice before. You have really changed my quilting!! I hope some day you will come to the great state of New York to teach a class. I would LOVE to take one of your workshops and get even better at making story quilts. I'm looking forward to your drawing book coming out. That's an area that really challenges me. Love and blessings to you.
    Candy T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Peggy and Cyndi, for sharing your great quilts! How great to see how Santa takes some time off!!

    Thank you, Mary Lou, for sharing these great quilts with us - perfect inspiration for a rainy summer day.

    My name strip is embroidered - just have to iron it and get it in the mail to you.

    Oh yes, thanks Ina for the delicious recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these wonderful story quilts!!! Applause for the quiltmakers for for you who inspired their marvelous creativity!!

    Have you ever considered what a powerful positive cosmic effect your glorious colorful and happy quilts and those of your legion of students are making all over the planet? Not to mention the bazillon smiles and laughs when others see these delightful quilted flights of fancy!

    You spread the joy! And delicious recipes!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete